Sunday, August 26, 2007

Thoughts on the Profession/Education


...and a message to my future self...

"In the banking concept of education, knowledge is a gift bestowed by those who consider themselves knowledgeable upon those whom they consider to know nothing...Education thus becomes an act of depositing in which students are the depositories...Instead of communicating the teacher issues communiques and makes deposits which the students patiently receive, memorize and repeat."
- Paulo Freire, as cited by Jane Thompkins in Pedagogy of the Distressed

I AM NOT SIMPLY A DEPOSITORY AND I AM TIRED OF BEING TREATED LIKE ONE.

You could learn something from your students, if you bothered to ask and listen.

There, I said it.

I'm a student of Education in the closet. Among my favorite books and articles (besides the above mentioned) are:

Mike Rose, Lives on the Boundry

Rebekah Nathan, My Freshman Year

Walter Mignolo "The Role of the Humanities in the Corporate University"

And did I mention that I am a PowerPoint freak? Check out these resources on how to make yours better:

Research points the finger at PowerPoint

Help! My brain is overloaded!

1 comment:

Jun Kitatani said...

Rebekah Nathan, My Freshman Year looks great on the Amazon site. I love woks by cultural anthropologists, and this research on AnyU is gold. It's a keeper, thanks for the recommendation.

BTW, have you see, An anthropological introduction to YouTube? Very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPAO-lZ4_hU